James E. Melvin, D.D.S., Ph.D.
NIDCR Clinical Director
Janice Lee, D.D.S., M.D., M.S.
Deputy Clinical Director
The Office of the Clinical Director (OCD) oversees, in coordination with the Office of the Scientific Director, all intramural clinical activities related to NIDCR’s mission. The OCD encourages a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment that promotes the translation of basic research discoveries into clinical practices by:
- conducting ground-breaking human clinical trials with an emphasis on rare diseases and diseases of high public health impact;
- developing state-of-the-art diagnostic, preventive, and therapeutic interventions for diseases of the dental-oral-craniofacial complex;
- supporting clinical research at NIDCR DIR through assistance with protocol writing, scientific reviewing, regulatory compliance (FDA and Office for Human Research Protections), database development, Adverse Event/Serious Adverse Event reporting, subject scheduling, study coordinator support and research nursing support;
- ensuring that clinical research is ethical, efficient, and of high scientific quality through formal external study monitoring, Data Safety Monitoring Committee and internal quality controls;
- transmitting the insight gained from research to the appropriate stakeholders;
- training the next generation of scientists pursuing oral health-related research careers through the Clinical Research Fellowship and the NIDCR Junior Faculty Development Programs;
- providing management and administrative support for the Dental Clinic; and
- offering an oral medicine and dental consult service for the NIH Clinical Center patient population.