Recent College Graduates

  • Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award Fellowship (IRTA)
    Offers participants the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience in laboratories at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland or at other off-campus NIH locations. The stipend ranges depending on experience. Candidates must begin this fellowship within two years of receipt of an undergraduate degree from an accredited U.S. college or university. U.S. citizenship or permanent residence is required.
  • Technical Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA)
    Designed for individuals with a bachelors or masters degree who plan to have a career as a research support professional. These are two-year appointments and applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The stipend ranges depending on experience. U.S. citizenship or permanent residence is required.
  • NIH Academy
    Intended for recent college graduates to spend a year engaged in health disparities research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland. Health disparities are differences in the incidence, prevalence, mortality, and burden of disease and other adverse health conditions that exist among specific population groups in the United States. Salary and housing are provided. Applicants must apply within one year of graduation from college.
  • Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Admin Supp - Clinical Trial Not Allowed) PA-18-586
    Provides research training and career development support for individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. Funding is awarded to principal investigators on active NIDCR grants who will serve as mentors for the diversity supplement candidates. The activities proposed in the supplement application must provide research training experiences that will facilitate the research and career development of the candidate. Eligibility is limited to citizens or non-citizen nationals of the United States or to individuals who have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States (i.e., in possession of a Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551). Individuals interested in diversity supplement support may contact the NIDCR Training Director . For individuals interested in finding an NIDCR funded  mentor, see How to Find a Mentor.

Last Reviewed
July 2018