Chief, Mucosal Immunology Section
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH/ NIDCR
Building 30, Room 304
30 Convent Drive, MSC 4352
Bethesda, MD 20892-4352
Phone: (301) 435-7168
Fax: (301) 402-1064
- M.D., Medicine, Qingdao University Medical School, Qingdao, China, 1984
- M.S., Microbiology and Immunology, Shandong University Medical School and Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Jinan, China, 1987
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Immunology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1993-1996
Honors and Awards
- Invited Speaker, NIH Director's Seminar Series , 2009, http://videocast.nih.gov/pastevents.asp?c=25
- The Wang Ying-Lai Memorial Lecture, Annual Meeting of The Texas Chapter of Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America ( SCBA), Houston, Texas, 2011
- Co-organizer and co-chair, Keystone Symposium, TGF-beta in Immune Responses: From Bench to Bedside, Snowbird, Utah, 2011
Research Interests/Scientific Focus
We are elucidating mechanisms of TGF-beta regulation of T-cell immunity and tolerance, and manipulating T-cell immunity versus tolerance in animal models to understand the pathogenesis of autoimmunity and inflammation, cancer and infectious diseases and to develop potential therapies for relevant human diseases, with special attention to NIDCR mission relevant diseases, such as Sjögren's syndrome, periodontal diseases, and oral and head and neck cancers.
- Chen W, Frank ME, Jin W, Wahl SM. TGF-beta released by apoptotic T cells contributes to an immunosuppressive milieu. Immunity. 2001 Jun;14(6):715-25.
- Chen W, Jin W, Tian H, Sicurello P, Frank M, Orenstein JM, Wahl SM. Requirement for transforming growth factor beta1 in controlling T cell apoptosis. J Exp Med. 2001 Aug 20;194(4):439-53.
- Chen W, Jin W, Hardegen N, Lei KJ, Li L, Marinos N, McGrady G, Wahl SM. Conversion of peripheral CD4+CD25- naive T cells to CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells by TGF-beta induction of transcription factor Foxp3. J Exp Med. 2003 Dec 15;198(12):1875-86.
- Liu Y, Zhang P, Li J, Kulkarni AB, Perruche S, Chen W. A critical function for TGF-beta signaling in the development of natural CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T cells. Nat Immunol. 2008 Jun;9(6):632-40.
- Perruche S, Zhang P, Liu Y, Saas P, Bluestone JA, Chen W. CD3-specific antibody-induced immune tolerance involves transforming growth factor-beta from phagocytes digesting apoptotic T cells. Nat Med. 2008 May;14(5):528-35.
- Perruche S, Zhang P, Maruyama T, Bluestone JA, Saas P, Chen W. Lethal effect of CD3-specific antibody in mice deficient in TGF-beta1 by uncontrolled flu-like syndrome.J Immunol. 2009 Jul 15;183(2):953-61.
- Li J, Maruyama T, Zhang P, Konkel JE, Hoffman V, Zamarron B, Chen W. Mutation of inhibitory helix-loop-helix protein Id3 causes γδ T-cell lymphoma in mice. Blood. 2010 Dec 16;116(25):5615-21.
- Ghoreschi K, Laurence A, Yang XP, Tato CM, McGeachy MJ, Konkel JE, Ramos HL, Wei L, Davidson TS, Bouladoux N, Grainger JR, Chen Q, Kanno Y, Watford WT, Sun HW, Eberl G, Shevach EM, Belkaid Y, Cua DJ, Chen W, O'Shea JJ. Generation of pathogenic T(H)17 cells in the absence of TGF-β signalling. Nature. 2010 Oct 21;467(7318):967-71.
- Belkaid Y, Chen W. Regulatory ripples. Nat Immunol. 2010 Dec;11(12):1077-8. Review.
- Maruyama T, Li J, Vaque JP, Konkel JE, Wang W, Zhang B, Zhang P, Zamarron BF, Yu D, Wu Y, Zhuang Y, Gutkind JS, Chen W. Control of the differentiation of regulatory T cells and T(H)17 cells by the DNA-binding inhibitor Id3. Nat Immunol. 2011 Jan;12(1):86-95.
- Konkel JE, Maruyama T, Carpenter AC, Xiong Y, Zamarron BF, Hall BE, Kulkarni AB, Zhang P, Bosselut R, Chen W. Control of the development of CD8αα+ intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes by TGF-β. Nat Immunol. 2011,12(4):312-9.
- Chen W. IDO: more than an enzyme. Nat Immunol. 2011 Aug 18;12(9):809-11. Review
- Konkel JE, Chen W. Balancing acts: the role of TGF-β in the mucosal immune system. Trends Mol Med. 2011 Nov;17(11):668-76. Epub 2011 Sep 2.
- Liu Y, Wang L, Kikuiri T, Akiyama K, Chen C, Chen W, Wang S, Shi S. Mesenchymal stem cell-based tissue regeneration is governed by recipient T lymphocytes via IFN-γ and TNF-α. Nat Med. 2011 Nov 20;17(12):1594-601.
Complete CV and Publications (PDF File, 126KB)