The mission of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) is to improve dental, oral, and craniofacial health through research, research training, and the dissemination of health information.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Performing and supporting basic, translational, and clinical research;
- Conducting and funding research training and career development programs to ensure an adequate number of talented, well-prepared, and diverse investigators;
- Coordinating and assisting relevant research and research-related activities among all sectors of the research community; and
- Promoting the timely transfer of knowledge gained from research and its implications for health to the public, health professionals, researchers, and policy-makers.
“The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research will be recognized as a catalyst for transforming how oral health care is delivered. This includes a more comprehensive integration of basic, clinical, and population science to devise new tools and approaches to improve oral health.”
– Dr. Martha Somerman, NIDCR Director