Dr. Moutosopoulos’ research is focused on oral-barrier immunity. Studies implement a bedside-to-bench approach and aim to understand the molecular and cellular basis of oral immunity in health, and in the common inflammatory disease of periodontitis. Periodontitis is a common inflammatory disease in humans, leading to destruction of tooth-supporting structures and tooth loss. Periodontal inflammation/dysbiosis is also associated with infections in other parts of the body, as well as systemic inflammatory conditions, which underscores the possibility of common mechanisms of susceptibility or disease triggering. Therefore, understanding mechanisms involved in the susceptibility and pathogenesis of periodontitis is not only critical for understanding the disease itself, but may provide insights into shared mechanisms among inflammatory diseases. Understanding the mechanisms that microbial triggers and host elements use to regulate oral immunity in health and disease is the focus of our research program.
Dr. Moutsopoulos received a DDS degree from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki/Greece in 1998, completed her specialization in periodontology at the University of Maryland, and obtained a PhD in immunology while working in the laboratory of Dr. Sharon Wahl at NIDCR. Dr. Moutsopoulos has worked as a clinical fellow at the NIH under the mentorship of Dr. Steven Holland (LCID/NIAID). Since 2010, Dr. Moutsopoulos has been an independent investigator building a clinical and translational program focused on basic oral immunology and susceptibility to the common human inflammatory disease periodontitis through the study of patients with monogenic immune defects.
- Moutsopoulos NM, Zerbe CS, Wild T, Dutzan N, Brenchley L, Uzel G, Chandler KC, Lisco A, Notarangelo LD, Hajishengallis G, Notarangelo LD, Holland SM.Interleukin-12 and Interleukin-23 blockade in leukocyte adhesion deficiency type 1. N Engl J Med., 2017 Mar 23;376(12);1141-1146.
- Dutzan N, Abusleme L, Bridgeman H, Greenwell-Wild T, Fife M, Bouladoux N, Hong B-Y, Break TJ, Bowdish DME, Lionakis MS, Trinchieri G, Diaz PI, Belkaid Y, Konkel JE, and Moutsopoulos, NM. On-going mechanical damage from mastication drives homeostatic Th17 cell responses at the oral barrier. Immunity.2017 Jan 17; 46(1):133-147.
- Konig MF, Abusleme L, Reinholdt J, Palmer RJ, Kevon AR, Sampson PA, Nigrovic J, Sokolove J, Giles JT, Moutsopoulos NM, Adrade F. Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans-induced hypercitrullination links periodontal infection to autoimmunity in rheumatoid arthritis. Sci Transl. Med. 2016 Dec 14;8(369):369ra176.
- Abusleme L, Moutsopoulos NM. IL-17: overview and role in oral immunity and microbiome. Oral Dis. 2016 Dec 27. DOI: 10.1111/odi.12598.
- Dutzan N, Konkel JE, Wild T, Moutsopoulos NM. Characterization of the human immune cell network at the gingival barrier. Mucosal Immunology. 2016 Sep;9(5):1163-72.
- Dutzan N, Abusleme L, Konkel JE, Moutsopoulos NM. Isolation, characterization and functional examination of the gingival immune cell network. J Vis Exp. 2016 Feb 16;(108):53736.
- Moutsopoulos NM, Lionakis MS, Hajishengallis G. Inborn errors in Immunity; unique natural models to dissect oral immunity. J Dent Res. 2015 Jun;94(6):753-8.
- Moutsopoulos NM, Chalmers NI, Barb J, Abusleme L, Greenwell-Wild T, Dutzan N, Paster BJ , Munson PJ, Fine DH, Uzel G, Holland SM. Subgingival microbial communities in Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency and their relationship with local immunopathology. PLoS Pathog. 2015 Mar5;11(3):e1004698.
- Moutsopoulos NM, Konkel J, Sarmadi M, Eskan MA, Wild T, Dutzan N, Abusleme L, Zenobia C, Hosur KB, Abe T, Uzel G, Chen W, Chavakis T, Holland SM, Hajishengallis G. Defective neutrophil recruitment in leukocyte adhesion deficiency type I disease causes local IL-17–driven inflammatory bone loss. Sci Transl Med. 2014 Mar 26;6(229):229ra40.
- Moutsopoulos NM, Kling HM, Angelov N, Jin W, Palmer RJ, Nares S, Osorio M, Wahl SM. Porphyromonas gingivalis promotes Th17 inducing pathways in chronic periodontitis. J Autoimmun. 2012 Dec;39(4):294-303.