Janice Lee, D.D.S., M.D., M.S.
NIDCR Clinical Director
The Dental Clinical Research Core (DCRC) supports investigator-initiated clinical research. The DCRC assists with protocol development, scientific reviews, regulatory compliance (Institutional Review Board, FDA, and Office for Human Subject Research Protections), database development, Adverse Event/Serious Adverse Event reporting, subject scheduling, study coordinator support, and research nursing support. Through formal external study monitoring, the Data Safety Monitoring Committee, Institutional Review Board, and internal quality controls, the Office of the Clinical Director ensures that clinical research is ethical, efficient, and of high scientific quality.
Patients evaluated at the Clinical Center—such as those with primary immunodeficiencies, those with inherited genetic disorders that affect craniofacial structures, and those undergoing cancer therapy—are enrolled in NIDCR clinical research projects. Clinical investigators, staff clinicians, research nurses, and research fellows work with the DCRC and the Office of Clinical Trials Oversight and Management to carry out these studies while maintaining patient safety and regulatory compliance.
To facilitate translational research, the DCRC supports clinical research studies that complement ongoing basic science laboratory projects. Current, open NIDCR Clinical Research Protocols include studies of the following:
- Craniofacial anomalies (Janice S. Lee, D.D.S., M.D.)
- Metabolic skeletal diseases (Michael T. Collins, M.D.)
- Salivary gland disorders (Ilias G. Alevizos, D.M.D., Ph.D.)
- Periodontal disease (Niki M. Moutsopoulos, D.D.S., Ph.D.)
- Oral chronic graft-versus-host disease (Jacqueline Mays, D.D.S., Ph.D.)
- Routine wisdom tooth extraction (Janice S. Lee, D.D.S., M.D.)
- Office of the Clinical Director
- NIDCR Clinical Research Protocols
- Dental Clinic and Consult Service
- Dental Clinical Research Fellowship